Where To Find Cheap Dentist In 3rd Ward
For anyone needing dental work who lives off Scott, Elgin or in the dorms at TSU or UH this guide is for you. We are showing you exactly where you can go to find a cheap dentist near 3rd Ward.
Note: Many of the dental offices found in this guide operated on a “sliding scale”. This means they bill you based on your income. Even if you were unemployed many of these clinics will work with you so don’t let a lack of insurance or money stop you from calling.
Double Note: If you have dental insurance many of these clinics will accept it, however you are encouraged to start by calling the number on back of your dental insurance card first to find a dentist.
- 1 Cheap Dentist In 3rd Ward (Map)
- 1.1 Ben Taub Oral Surgery Department (Patients accepted thru Ben Taub ER)
- 1.2 City of Houston Dental Clinics
- 1.3 El Centro de Corazon
- 1.4 Harris Health System
- 1.5 Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
- 1.6 Houston Community College – Hygiene Program
- 1.7 Legacy Community Health Services
- 1.8 MD Anderson Cancer Center
- 1.9 San Jose Clinic
- 1.10 University of Texas School of Dentistry Houston
- 1.11 Conclusion
Cheap Dentist In 3rd Ward (Map)
Below you will find a listing of low-cost dental clinics near Houston’s 3rd Ward neighborhood.
Ben Taub Oral Surgery Department (Patients accepted thru Ben Taub ER)
Who is eligible? Adults and Children (16 years +) eligible for the Harris Health Financial Assistance Plan (Gold Card).
1504 Ben Taub Loop Houston, TX 713.873.3320
City of Houston Dental Clinics
The City of Houston Health Department provides dental services children, young adults, and pregnant women.
The closest clinic is located at Sunnyside Health Center in the Sunnyside neighborhood.
Eligibility for City of Houston Dental
To qualify for services you must have one of the following:
- Medicaid – Children ages 6 through 20 years of age.
- CHIP – Children 1 year through 18 years of age.
- WIC Shopping List – Dental appointments for WIC children can be showing your current WIC Shopping List.
- City Dental Card – Uninsured children 6 to 21 years of age who do not qualify for Medicaid, CHIP or WIC could potentially qualify for the City Dental Card. Pregnant women through 90 days post-partum can also qualify for the City Dental Card.
City of Houston Dental Locations
The closest City of Houston Dental clinic to 3rd Ward is at Sunnyside Health Center.
- La Nueva Casa De Amigos – 1809 N. Main Houston, TX 832.395.0674
- Magnolia Multi-Service Center – 7037 Capitol St Houston, TX 77011 832.395.3408
- Northside Health Center – 8504 Schuller Rd Houston, TX 832.395.9116
- Sharpstown Health Center – 6201 Bonhomme Houston, TX 832.395.9840
- Sunnyside Health Center – 4605 Wilmington Blvd Houston, TX 832.395.0054
For more information contact one of the City of Houston Dental Clinics above or call the COH Appointment Line at 832.395.5407.
El Centro de Corazon
El Centro has two dental clinics located in Houston’s East End, although this is only a short drive or 20 minute Metro Light rail ride away from 3rd Ward.
El Centro de Corazon provides dental services to both children and adults. The clinic has 2 low-cost dental clinics in SE Houston.
El Centro de Corazon Dental Clinic Locations
- Eastwood Health Center – 412 Telephone Rd Houston, TX 77023 – 713.660.1880
- John S. Dunn Health Center – 7635 Canal Street Houston, TX 77012 – 713.660.1880
Eligibility for El Centro de Corazon Dental Clinics
Both children and adults are welcome at their dental clinics.
El Centro de Corazon Dental Services
For additional information about El Centro de Corazon dental services contact 713.660.1880.
Harris Health System
HHS provides dental care to patients 16 and older.
HHS provides dental care via 6 Houston area locations.
Harris Health System Dental Locations
- HHS Dental Clinic (Palm Center) – 5230 Griggs Road Houston, TX 77021 – 713.757.0572
- Acres Home Health Center – 818 Ringold Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Rt Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- El Franco Lee Health Center – 8901 Boone Rd Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- Martin Luther King Jr Health Center – 3550 Swingle Road Houston, TX 77047 – 713.526.4243
- Strawberry Health Center – 927 E. Shaw Houston, TX 713.526.4243
Eligibility for Harris Health System
To receive dental services you must meet each of the following:
- Be 16 years or older
- Have Harris Health System Financial Assistance Plan
- Have a referral from your Harris Health doctor
Harris Health System Dental Services
Harris Health provides dental services like regular examinations, cleanings, fillings, extractions, and full and partial dentures.
To learn more about enrollment in Harris Health System Financial Assistance Plan call their Eligibility Line at 713.566.6509 or see our guide called How to Apply for Harris Health (Gold Card).
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
Healthcare for the Homeless offers no-cost dental service to Houston’s homeless population.
The dental clinic is located in the heart of downtown Houston.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic Location
- Caroline Street Clinic – 1934 Caroline St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.286.6000
Eligibility for Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
The Homeless Dental clinic services the homeless population of Houston. Patients must schedule an appointment with Caroline Street Clinic or obtain a referral from Cathedral Clinic (the Beacon) which is located at 1212 Prairie. Their number is 713.220.9730.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic Services
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic provides the following services:
- Preventive Services
- Periodontal therapy
- Oral health education
- Cancer screenings
- Root canals
- Crowns and bridges
- Specialist referrals
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Fees
All services are provided for free.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Hours of Operation
The dental clinic is open Monday through Thursdays from 8 am to 5 pm. Clinic hours on Fridays are 8 am to 12 noon. First come first serve is not specified although it’s best to arrive as early as possible.
To arrange an appointment or ask questions contact them at 713.286.6140 or email them at GRYGO@BCM.edu.
Houston Community College – Hygiene Program
Another place where you can find a cheap dentist near 3rd Ward is the Houston Community College Dental Hygiene Program.
Services are available to anyone and are provided by students under the supervision of faculty and dentists.
There are only one dental clinic and its located in the medical center.
Houston Community College Dental Hygiene Clinic Location
- HCC Dental Hygiene Clinic – 1900 Pressler St, Houston, TX 77030 – 713.718.7292
Eligibility for Houston Community College Dental
The HCC Dental Clinic treats everyone. No insurance is needed and there are no income requirements to receive dental services.
Houston Community College Dental Services and Fees
HCC Dental College provides all the following services for a single cost of $20 for adults and $5 for children:
- Fluoride Varnish
- Sealants – in needed are $1.00
Credit and debit cards are the ONLY forms of payment accepted. They do not accept cash or checks.
Houston Community College Dental Clinic Parking
The HCC Dental clinic is located in the Houston Medical Center. If you’ve ever been to the Medical Center you likely know that if can be intimidating. To make your visit easier here are two options for parking:
- Inside the AU lot across the street from HCC Coleman College. Parking ranges from $5 to $12 per day.
- There is also $6 all-day parking at the Corner Parking Garage 2151 W. Holcombe Blvd Houston, TX 77030.
To schedule an appointment, ask about parking or any other questions dial HCC Dental Clinic at 713.718.7292.
Legacy Community Health Services
Legacy Community Health Services provides dental services to both children and adults.
The closest location to Houston’s 3rd Ward is in the Montrose neighborhood.
Legacy Community Health Dental Locations
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California Houston, TX, – 832.548 5000
- Baker Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin Houston, TX, – 832.548.5000
- Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Ave Houston, TX 77020, – 832.548.5400
- San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Rd, Baytown, TX 77521, 281.420.8400
Eligibility for Legacy Community Health Dental
Legacy Dental provides services to both children and adults.
Health insurance or income is not needed to be seen. If you do not have health insurance Legacy Clinic will screen you to see if you qualify for a plan like Medicaid or Medicare. If you do not qualify for either you will be assessed to see where you fall on their “sliding scale”. Remember services are not free although depending on your income the scale could slide all the way down to $0.
If you have health insurance use this link to see if Legacy accepts it.
Legacy Community Health Dental Services
- Legacy Dental provides the following services:
- Children’s dentistry
- Dental Screenings
- Crown preparations
- Partial Dentures
- Urgent Dental Care
To schedule an appointment or ask questions contact Legacy Community Health at 832.548.5000.
MD Anderson Cancer Center
MD Anderson offers dental services to oncology patients who are seen at the hospital.
The MD Anderson Dental clinic is located in the Medical Center which is only a few miles from 3rd Ward.
- MD Anderson Cancer Dental Clinic – 1515 Holcombe Houston, TX 77030, 713.792.6510.
Eligibility for MD Anderson Cancer Clinic
MD Anderson provides oral and dental care for all oncology patients who require treatment prior to chemotherapy or radiotherapy. To receive MD Anderson dental care you receive a referral from your MD Anderson PCP.
For more information contact MD Anderson at 713.792.6510.
San Jose Clinic
San Jose Clinic is another option to find a cheap dentist near 3rd Ward and is just a short drive up McGowen.
San Jose Clinic offers dental services to both children and adults. No insurance is needed because services are provided via sliding scale fees.
SJC’s only clinic is located in Midtown at the corner of McGowen and Fannin.
San Jose Clinic Location
- San Jose Clinic – 2615 Fannin Street Houston, TX, – 713.228.9411
Eligibility at San Jose Dental Clinic
SJC offers dental services to children (5 years +) and adults.
For dental services, you must complete an Eligibility Application. SJC accepts walk-ins for Eligibility interviews from 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. There is no note of a first come first serve process although you’re advised to arrive as early as possible.
San Jose Clinic Dental Services
- General care
- Root Canals
For more questions about SJC call 713.228.9411.
University of Texas School of Dentistry Houston
UT School of Dentistry Houston offers services to children and adults. Services are provided by students in the UT dental programs. Students are however supervised by faculty and dentists.
Patients are accepted based on the needs of the patient and the ability of the schools teaching programs. Below are the different areas of dental care provided by the college.
UT School of Dentistry Houston Areas of Care
- Dental Hygiene Care – Students provide basic dental services and also offer education to clients. A screening appointment is necessary for Dental Hygiene Care. This screening can be coordinated by calling 713.486.4000.
- Comprehensive Care – An initial assessment must be completed to learn more about dental needs. The assessment is free although if further testing (X-Rays) is needed fees range between $40-$90.
- Urgent Care – The schedule for Urgent Care varies, therefore, it is suggested that you call 713.486.4000 Option 1 prior to visiting the clinic. No appointment is required for Urgent Care because services are rendered on a first come first serve basis. The doors open at 7:30 AM Monday through Friday and you are highly encouraged to arrive as soon as possible. The initial exam fee is $25. After diagnosis, if a patient requires urgent care fees can be as much as $200.
UT School of Dentistry Houston Clinic Location
- UT Dentistry Student Clinic – 7500 Cambridge Street Houston, TX 713.486.4000
Eligibility for UT School of Dentistry
The dental school treats both children and adults.
UT School of Dentistry Fees
Unlike many of the other dental clinics on this list, UT does not discount fees.
The initial assessment can cost as much as $25. Urgent Care dental services can cost as much as $200. Prior to performing any dental work, UT will inform you of your diagnosis of cost of treatment.
For scheduling or additional question call the dental school at 713.486.4000.
Whether you lack health insurance or don’t have a penny to your name you can still find an affordable dentist in 3rd Ward to treat you. This guide has provided you with 10 different options to receive treatment.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 10 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans and creating easy to understand community resources on his site HoustonCaseManagers.com. To become a more saucy social worker, hop on his free email list and receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.