How to Apply for Medical Access Program: Insurance for Austin’s Uninsured
In this guide, I will talk with you about an Austin Texas insurance plan called Medical Access Program.
This is an indigent healthcare options for any individual that is uninsured, homeless, recently laid off or you just moved to the Austin area.
- How to Apply For Medical Access Program Insurance
- What is Medical Access Program?
- Who is eligible for Medical Access Program?
- The Services That Are Covered
- Download Your Medical Access Program Application and Supporting Documents
- 5 Ways To Apply For Coverage
- MAP Clinics In Austin
- How Do You Renew Your Coverage?
How to Apply For Medical Access Program Insurance
First, we will start out with a brief summary of what Medical Access Program insurance is.
What is Medical Access Program?
This is a health insurance plan that covers low-income residents in Austin Texas. The official name is Medical Access Program, although locals commonly refer to it as simply MAP insurance.
The Austin Medical Access Program is managed by Central Health. This Austin health system provides medical care to uninsured and low-income individuals of Travis County.
Note: MAP is the Austin equivalent of Houston’s Gold Card.
Who is eligible for Medical Access Program?
To qualify for Austin Medical Access Program you must meet the following criteria:
- Live in Travis County
- Be ineligible for Medicare, Medicaid and have no private health insurance
- You are considered low-income
You can contact the Central Health helpline at 512.978.8130 to see if you qualify for the Austin health care plan. The phone representative will ask you questions regarding your address, income, family size and insurance to determine if you qualify for this Austin health insurance.
The Services That Are Covered
This Austin indigent health system offers two types of coverage; MAP and MAP Basic.
MAP Services Offered
With this plan you have more access to care.
- Adult primary care
- Pediatric care
- Cancer screenings
- OBGYN, womens health services
- Specialty care including palliative and hospice care
- Dental services like exams, cleanings, tooth removal, dentures, fillings and oral surgery
- Pharmacy services
- Counseling, psychiatry, inpatient and outpatient care,
- Physical therapy
- Urgent care
- Hospital care
- Skilled nursing, home health, wrap around care for the homeless
MAP Basic Services
This healthcare plan offers essentially primary care, pharmacy and some behavioral health services.
- Adult primary care
- Cancer screenings
- Pharmacy services
Central Health will determine which plan you qualify for. Call them at 512.978.8130 to learn more about eligibility into one of these Medical Access Programs.
Download Your Medical Access Program Application and Supporting Documents
You must complete a MAP application and you can find both english and spanish copies below.
The Medical Access Program application requests information like demographics, family size, household income, assets, and employment verification. Below is an example of the application.
Post picture of application
The supporting documents you may need with you medical Access Program application are:
- Applicant responsibilities – Simply talks about your responsibilities as an application
- Self employment form – If you work for yourself you can use this form as a proof of income
- Residence and financial support form – For individuals who are not working but a family member or friend is providing them with a place to stay
- Employment verification form – Another form to show proof of income
5 Ways To Apply For Coverage
Currently the MAP eligibility offices are closed due to COVID-19 however there are 5 alternative ways to apply for Central Health coverage.
- Mail – You can mail your application and supporting documents
- Email – Do the same with email
- Fax – Find their fax number located here
- Phone – Call Central Health at 512.978.8130 to apply for MAP over the phone
- Online – Lastly you can apply for Medical Access Program online
MAP Clinics In Austin
Below you will find a listing of the 27 different MAP clinics in the Travis County area. You will find both clinics inside and outside of the Austin area.
MAP Clinics Inside of Austin City Limits
- Austin Resource Center for the Homeless – 500 East Seventh St, Austin, TX 78701
- Care Connection – 3706 South 1st St, Austin TX 78704
- East Austin Health Center – 211 Comal St, Austin, TX 78702
- North Central Health Center – 1210 W. Braker Lane, Austin TX 78758
- Sandra jay Anderson Health Center – 1705 E 11th Street, Austin TX 78702
- South Austin Health Center – 2529 South First Street, Austin TX 78704
- Southeast Health Center – 2901 Montopolis Drive, Austin TX 78741
- William Cannon Health Center – 6801 S IH 35 Frontage Rd, Suite 1-E, Austin, TX 78744
- Family Wellness Clinic – 2901 N. I-35, Ste. 1.301, Austin TX 78722
- Ben White Health Clinic – 1221 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite B200, Austin TX 78704
- Stassney Clinic – 730 W. Stassney Lane, St. 110, Austin TX 78745
- Collinfield – 8913 Collinfield Drive, Unit 1, Austin TX 78758
- El Buen Samaritano – 7000 Woodhue Drive, Building B, Austin TX 78745
- People’s Community Clinic Center for Women’s Health – 2909 N. I-35, Austin TX 78722
- People’s Community Clinic North – 1101 Camino La Costa, Austin TX 78752
- Seton Northwest – 11111 Research Blvd., Suite 230, Austin TX 78759
MAP Clinics Outside of Austin City Limits
- Children’s Wellness Clinic – 5301 Ross Rd, Unit H, Del Valle TX 78617
- Communicare – 2810 Dacy Lane, Kyle TX 78640
- Community Health Center of Bastrop County – 605 Old Austin Hwy, Bastrop TX 78602
- Del Valle Health Center – 3518 FM 973, Del Valle TX 78617
- Manor Health Center – 600 W. Carrie Manor St, Manor TX 78653
- Dell Children’s Circle of Care Pediatrics – 1730 E. Whitestone Blvd., Ste. 101, Cedar Park TX 78613
- Round Rock Pediatrics Clinic – 2120 N. Mays St., Suite 430, Round Rock TX 78664
- Bastrop Health Clinic – 605 Old Austin Hwy, Bastrop TX 78602
- Lake Aire Med – 2423 Williams Drive, Suite 108, Georgetown TX 78628
- Marble Falls – 802 Ave. J, Marble Falls TX 78654
- Seton Circle Family Medicine at TAMHSC – 3950 N. A.W. Grimes Blvd., Suite N201, Round Rock TX 78664
How Do You Renew Your Coverage?
You must renew your Austin MAP insurance 30 days before your plan expires.
Your expiration date will be on the front of your card.
To reapply you have 2 options:
- Complete an online Map renewal application.
- Contact 512.978.8130 to renew your coverage
Medical Access Program is a safety net program for the indigent population of Austin. This includes people who are homeless, unemployed, do not qualify for Medicaid, or recently moved to Travis County.
No matter how low your income is, Austin’s Central Health can help you with a whole range of medical services covered by the MAP program.
If you have questions about Medical Access Program insurance plan be sure to call them at 512.978.8130.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.