4 Ways To Find Free Baby Formula In Houston
Like EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of childcare formula is also expensive.
How much does it cost to feed a baby formula for the first year?
For those who don’t have this kind of money laying around I want to introduce you to a few local options you have to drastically reduce the cost of baby formula.
- 1 4 Ways To Find Free Baby Formula In Houston
- 1.1 1. WIC – Offers free baby formula in Houston nutrition support to moms
- 1.2 2. LIFE Houston – Provides emergency baby formula in Houston
- 1.3 3. Pregnancy Assistance Centers – Secondary option for free baby formula
- 1.4 4. Breastfeeding – Money saving alternative to formula
- 1.5 Conclusion
4 Ways To Find Free Baby Formula In Houston
Your 3 options for finding free baby formula are:
- LIFE Houston
- Pregnancy Assistance Centers
Let’s start with the Women Infant and Children’s Program, shall we?
1. WIC – Offers free baby formula in Houston nutrition support to moms
WIC is the first option we will discuss. If you are needing free baby formula in Houston, your first choice should be the local WIC clinic.
Unlike the other resources on this list, WIC is a state program. This means they are funded by government dollars so as long as you and your baby make your monthly check-ups you should have no problem obtaining baby formula from WIC.
To enroll in a WIC program you simply need to find the closest office to your home. Use the map below to find your local Houston WIC office and give them a call to arrange an appointment today.
If you need more information about the program refer to our article titled How To Apply For WIC. In this article, you will learn more about the services provided and the qualification to enroll in the program.
2. LIFE Houston – Provides emergency baby formula in Houston
The second way to find free baby formula in Houston is by contacting LIFE Houston.
LIFE Houston in a local organization that provides emergency formula to families. To obtain free formula for your baby you must meet the following requirement:
- The baby must be between birth and 12 months
- The ID of the parent or caregiver
- An official form with the child’s full name and date of birth (Verification of Birth Facts or WIC/Medicaid card IF the baby’s birth date is shown)
- Paperwork from your doctor if your baby needs a special formula like Sensitive, for Spit Up, or Alimentum.
LIFE Houston provides the following formulas:
- Milk-based formula
- Soy-based formula
- Lactose-free formula
- Milk-Based formula with partially broken down protein
- Formula for medical needs.
In addition to formula, LIFE can provide baby cereal and jarred baby foods when available.
For more information visit their website, call them at 713.528.3802 or visit their office at 204 Clifton, Houston, TX 77011.
3. Pregnancy Assistance Centers – Secondary option for free baby formula
Our third and final option for finding free baby formula in Houston is Pregnancy Assistance Centers.
These agencies provide a number of services for newborn babies. Some of those services include baby furniture, diapers, education, and potentially formula. Many of these organizations will require that you enroll into an educational program or complete certain tasks to earn “baby bucks”. You can then use those baby bucks to purchase the items you need.
This is probably the least likely place to find baby formula although it’s definitely worth a shot.
4. Breastfeeding – Money saving alternative to formula
Sure, you came here for baby formula, but have you ever considered breastfeeding? If not did you know that breastfeeding can potentially save you a staggering $1500 a year?
If breastfeeding is something you would like to consider your local WIC can help. In addition to providing you with healthy foods to eat so you can pass on good nutrients your baby, they also offer:
- Breastfeeding Experts – These experts have an expertise in latching, milk supply issues and more
- Peer Counselors – These are mothers in the community who have a personal experience with breastfeeding. Many of the trials that you’ve gone/going through regarding breastfeeding are things they are qualified to talk to you about.
- A Buddy Program – This program pairs you with another new mom so that you can talk about things that are and aren’t working for you. Its a program to support you through any problems you may be having with breastfeeding.
There are many challenges that come with breastfeeding but if this is something you are interested in, again your local WIC clinic can help you every step of the way. For a list of local WIC clinics see our How To Apply For WIC in Houston guide.
Realistically you will have to spend some money on formula, whoever you can find lots of money saving options for free baby formula in Houston at agencies, like WIC, Life Houston, and the various pregnancy centers located in the city.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.