Where To Find Services For Family Planning In Houston
While most remember the 1993 playoff match between the Houston Oilers and Buffalo Bills as “the comeback” game, I remember it for a whole nother reason.
It’s the day my dad gave me the sex talk.
It was a brief talk. Only 5 words to be exact.
His exact words were:
Nicholas, always wear a raincoat.
Then he showed me a condom, and that was that. It was the first and last time he ever talked about sex with me.
At 10 years old I had no idea what he was talking about.
What about a raincoat??
And what’s that foil looking paper in your hand???
I had so many questions, but for whatever reason (uncomfortable with the subject or still steaming because the Oilers blew a 35 point lead) he didn’t delve into the subject that day.
Anyway, that trip down memory lane brings us to the purpose of this guide. While I couldn’t have asked for a better father, he surely didn’t provide much guidance on family planning!
Luckily for you there are plenty of places that you can go where professionals are comfortable and willing to answer any family planning questions you have.
Whether you need birth control pills, condoms or sex ed counseling, these clinics can accommodate you.
In the next section we’ll show you exactly where you can find these family clinics via map.
- 1 Family Planning In Houston – Map
- 1.1 Different Family Planning Clinics In Houston
- 1.1.1 City of Houston – Family Planning Clinics In Houston
- 1.1.2 Planned Parenthood – Family Planning In Houston
- 1.1.3 Legacy Community Health – Family Planning In Houston
- 1.1.4 Harris Health System – Family Planning In Houston
- 1.1.5 Harris County Public Health Department – Family Planning In Houston
- 1.1.6 Teen Health Clinics – Family Planning In Houston
- 1.1 Different Family Planning Clinics In Houston
- 2 Conclusion
Family Planning In Houston – Map
Below you will find a map of many options for family planning in Houston. Locate your home on the map to learn more about family planning services near you.
Be sure to click on each blue map plot to learn more information about all the family planning clinics on this map.
Different Family Planning Clinics In Houston
You can use this guide to find family planning services in two different ways; the first is using the map above. The second way is referring to the listing of agencies below.
Each of the following agencies offers family planning at little to no cost to you. Healthy Texas Women’s Plan is accepted at all of the clinics in this guide. If you do not Healthy Texas Women’s Plan, Medicaid or any other type of insurance you can still be seen at each of these clinics because they do not turn anyone away.
The first agency we’ll start with is City of Houston’s Health Department.
City of Houston – Family Planning Clinics In Houston
The City of Houston offers Family Planning services at 4 of it’s Health Centers.
You must call 832.393.5428 and make an appointment for services, because each clinic operates on different days and times. We’ve provided days and times for each location in this section.
The City of Houston does not deny anyone. A lack of insurance or income will not prevent you from receiving services.
Another thing to note is teens do not need their parents consent to receive family planning services.
City of Houston Health Centers
Northside Health Center – 8504 Schuller Road Houston, TX 77093 – 832.393.5428
Hours: Monday – 8:30 am to 6 pm. Tuesday – Thursday – 7:30 am to 4:30pm. Second Wednesday of each month 7 am to 11 am only. Friday – 7:30 am to 12 pm. Closed Saturday and Sundays.
La Nueva Casa de Amigos Health Center – 1809 N. Main Street, Houston, TX 77009 – 832.393.5428
Hours: Mondays – 8:30 am and 1:30 pm sessions. Tuesday and Thursdays – Morning sessions begin at 7:30 am and afternoon sessions at 12:30 pm.
Sharpstown Health Center – 6201 Bonhomme (3rd Floor), Houston, TX 77036 – 832.393.5428
Hours: Wednesday – Morning sessions begin at 8 am and afternoon sessions 1 pm. Fridays – Morning sessions begin at 8 am.
Sunnyside Health Center – 4605 Wilmington Street, Houston, TX 77051 – 832.393.5428
Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays – Morning sessions only. Tuesday and Thursdays – Morning and afternoon sessions.
Planned Parenthood – Family Planning In Houston
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest provider of sex education. In addition to this they also offer may medical services. Below is a list of services offered at their clinics:
- Abortion Referrals
- Birth Control
- General Health Care
- HIV Testing
- Men’s Health Care
- Morning-After Pill and Emergency Contraception
- Pregnancy Testing and Services
- STD Testing, Treatment and Vaccines
- Women’s Health Care
Planned Parenthood Locations In Houston
Northville (West Rd) – 9919 North Freeway Service Road, Suite 107, Houston, TX 77037 – 713.494.7435
Northwest Health Center (290) – 13169 Northwest Freeway, Suite 115, Houston, TX 77040 – 713.514.1107
Stafford Health Center (59 and Kirkwood) – 12614 Southwest Freeway, Suite A, Stafford, TX 77477 – 713.494.7435
Prevention Park (near University of Houston) – 4600 Gulf Freeway Suite 100, Houston, TX 77023 – 713.522.3976
Legacy Community Health – Family Planning In Houston
Legacy is another option for family planning in Houston. They offer reproductive health and family planning classes to clients. Family planning workshops welcome both fathers and mothers. Some of the topics that are discussed include:
- Preconception Health
- Reproductive Life Planning
- Birth Control Methods
- Other Family Planning Related Issues
Legacy Community Health Locations
- Legacy Baker Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin Street, Suite 200 – Houston, TX 77074 – 832.548.500
- Legacy Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Avenue, Houston, TX 77020 – 832.548.5000
- Legacy Montrose Clinic – 1415 California Street, Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100
- Legacy Mapleridge Clinic – 6550 Mapleridge Street, Houston, TX 77081 – 832.548.5000 or 713.779.7200
- Legacy San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Road, Baytown, TX 77521 – 832.548.5000 or 281.420.8400
Harris Health System – Family Planning In Houston
Harris Health System offers it’s patients services like primary care as well as family planning in Houston.
In addition to family planning, you can also receive related services like, Health Texas Womens Program and Breast & Cervical Cancer Services.
Harris Health System Locations
Below you will find each Harris Health location that offers family planning services.
- Smith Clinic – 2525 Holly Hall Street, Suite A, Houston, TX 77054 – 713.566.3600
- Casa De Amigos – 1615 N. Main Street, Houston, TX 77009 – 713.222.2272
- Gulfgate – 7550 Office City Drive, Houston, TX 77012 – 713.495.3700
- MLK Swingle Clinic – 3550 Swingle Road, Houston, TX 77047 – 713.547.1000
- LBJ Hospital Outpatient Clinic – 5550 Kelly Street, Houston, TX 77026 – 713.566.4858
- NW Clinic – 1100 W 34th Street, Houston, TX 77018 – 713.861.3939
- Vallbona Clinic – 6630 DeMoss Street, Houston, TX 77074 – 713.272.2600
- Settegast Clinic – 9105 N. Wayside Drive, Houston, TX 77088 – 713.633.2020
- Strawberry Clinic – 927 E. Shaw Avenue, Pasadena, TX 77506 – 713.982.5900
- El Franco Lee Clinic – 8901 Boone Road, Houston, TX 77099 – 281.454.0500
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Route, Houston, TX 77039 – 281.985.7600
- Squatty Lyons – 1712 First Street, Suite M-20, Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4139
- Baytown Health Center – 1602 Garth Road, Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.837.2700
- Acres Homes Health Center – 818 Ringold Street, Houston, TX 77088 – 281.448.6391
How To Apply For Harris Health / Gold Card
In order to receive family planning services at Harris Health, you will need to go through their eligibility process.
To start this process you can call Harris Health at 713.566.6509 or refer to our article How To Apply For Harris Health/Gold Card.
Harris County Public Health Department – Family Planning In Houston
Harris County Public Health offers low-cost family planning services to the community. Those family planning services include the following:
- Male and female condoms
- Oral Contraceptive Pills
- Depo – Provera Injections
- Vaginal Hormonal Ring (NuvaRing)
- Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives – Intrauterine Device (IUD), Contraceptive Implant (Nexplanon)
- Pregnancy Testing For Non-Eligible Grant Recipients
- Spermicidal Foam And Jelly
Harris County Public Health Locations
Here are the Harris County Public Health locations in the Houston area.
- Humble Clinic – 1730 Humble Place Drive, Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4222
- Baytown Clinic – 1000 Lee Drive, Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.427.5195
- Pasadena Clinic – 3737 Red Bluff Road, Pasadena, TX 77503 – 713.407.5800 or 713.740.5000
- Antoine Clinic – 5815 Antoine Drive, Suite A – 713.602.3300
How To Apply For Harris County Public Health Services
To apply for HCPH you need to call the appointment line at 713.212.6800.
Teen Health Clinics – Family Planning In Houston
In this section you will find a listing of teen clinics who offer services related to family planning in Houston.
These clinics are located at schools, hospitals and community clinics. The priority population for these clinics are teenagers. Despite this some clinics do see clients up to the age of 24.
Definitely call prior to your visit, but generally speaking, there is a greater chance that you will qualify for services at one of the other clinics listed on this resource.
Most teens clinics offer the following services:
- Birth Control
- STD Testing
- Pregnancy Testing
- Wellness Exams
- Health Education
Teen Health Clinic Locations
- Cullen Teen Clinic – 5737 Cullen, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77021 – 713.440.7313
- Ben Taub Teen Clinic – 1504 Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030 – 713.873.3601
- Worthing High School Teen Clinic – 9215 Scott Street, Houston, TX 77051 – 281.394.0528
- Chavez High School Teen Clinic – 8501 Howard, Houston, TX 77017 – 713.495.6950
- Sterling High School Teen Clinic – 11625 Martin Dale Road Houston, TX 77048 – 713.955.6071
- Margaret Long Wisdom High School Teen Clinic – 6529 Beverly Hill Lane Houston, TX 77057 – 713.787.1700
- Tejano Center – 2950 Broadway Street, Houston, TX 77017 – 713.640.3730 – Open to the students at Raul Yzaguirre School for Success as well as the community (13 – 24 years old).
- Cavalcade Community Center – 3815 Cavalcade Houston, TX 77026 – 713.675.0004 – Mon – Thur 8 am to 6:30 pm
- LBJ Hospital Teen Clinic – 5656 Kelly Street, Houston, TX 77026 – 713.566.5100
- Lawn Teen Clinic – 8111 Lawn Street, Houston, TX 77088 – 281.847.9970 – Services for males and females 13 – 23 years old.
Children are EXPENSIVE.
According to CNN Money, you can expect to pay up to $233,610 to raise a child from birth to 17.
Unless money grows on trees in your neighborhood, it’s a sensible idea to take these family planning clinics up on the services they provide.
Regardless of your income or health insurance there are clinics to help you with birth control, condoms and other contraceptives.
If you are sexually active and have questions, contact any of the agencies above because they can help.
Don’t let 5 minutes of pleasure lead to a lifetime of pain!
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 10 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans and creating easy to understand community resources on his site HoustonCaseManagers.com. To become a more saucy social worker, hop on his free email list and receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.