Low-Cost Dental Clinics In Houston
Sometimes overlooked, regular dental care is extremely important to your overall health.
The good thing about our city is there is affordable Houston dental clinics that are available to anyone, even those that are uninsured.
In this post you will find lots of options for low cost dental care in Houston. Below you will find addresses, phone numbers and the populations that these clinics serve.
These clinics are able to treat everyone who walks through their doors because of the “sliding scale” fees. If you’re unfamiliar with the term continue reading and I’ll explain.
- Low-Cost Dental Clinics In Houston
- Ben Taub Oral Surgery Department (Patients accepted thru Ben Taub ER)
- City of Houston Dental Bureau
- Community Medical Center (IBN Sina Foundation)
- Vecino Health Centers
- El Centro de Corazon Dental
- Greater Houston Dental Society
- Harris County Public Health Dental Department
- Harris Health System Dental Services
- Houston Community College – Hygiene Program
- Houston Children’s Dental Center
- The Center Houston (Dental Care For Special Needs Patients in Houston)
- Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
- Legacy Community Health Services
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (Dental For Oncology Patients In Houston)
- Pasadena Health Center
- San Jose Clinic Dental Care
- Spring Branch Community Health Center
- TOMAGWA Health Care Ministries
- University of Texas School of Dentistry Houston
What Are Sliding Scale Dental Clinics In Houston?
Each of these agencies is considered to be low-cost dental clinics in Houston. Services are not free, although each clinic is willing to work with you no matter your income.
Most of the low-cost clinics operate on what they call a “sliding scale”. The clinic will perform an eligibility assessment to see where you fall on that scale.
Once you’ve been screened for eligibility they will tell you where you fall on their “sliding scale” and provide an estimate of what your dental visit will cost. Depending on your income it’s possible that the scale could slide all the way to $0.
The bottom line is if you don’t have a penny to your name, these clinics will find a way to help you.
Now that you understand what “sliding scale” means, it’s time to learn more about the low-cost clinics.
Low-Cost Dental Clinics In Houston
Below you will find a listing of Houston Dental Clinics near you.
Prior to driving to any of these locations call to ensure they are accepting new patients and also inquire about any potential fees.
Ben Taub Oral Surgery Department (Patients accepted thru Ben Taub ER)
Who is eligible? Adults and Children (16 years +) eligible for the Harris Health Financial Assistance Plan (Gold Card).
1504 Ben Taub Loop Houston, TX 713.873.3320
City of Houston Dental Bureau
The City of Houston Health Department provides dental services children, young adults, and pregnant women.
Eligibility for City of Houston Dental
To qualify for services you must have one of the following:
- Medicaid – Children ages 6 through 20 years of age.
- CHIP – Children 1 year through 18 years of age.
- WIC Shopping List – Dental appointments for WIC children can be showing your current WIC Shopping List.
- City Dental Card – Uninsured children 6 to 21 years of age who do not qualify for Medicaid, CHIP or WIC could potentially qualify for the City Dental Card. Pregnant women through 90 days post-partum can also qualify for the City Dental Card.
City of Houston Dental Locations
- La Nueva Casa De Amigos – 1809 N. Main Houston, TX 832.395.0674
- Magnolia Multi-Service Center – 7037 Capitol St Houston, TX 77011 832.395.3408
- Northside Health Center – 8504 Schuller Rd Houston, TX 832.395.9116
- Sharpstown Health Center – 6201 Bonhomme Houston, TX 832.395.9840
- Sunnyside Health Center – 4605 Wilmington Blvd Houston, TX 832.395.0054
For more information contact one of the City of Houston Dental Clinics above or call the COH Appointment Line at 832.395.5407.
Community Medical Center (IBN Sina Foundation)
IBN Sina Clinics provide low-cost dental services to children and adults via 3 Houston area dental clinics. Those dental clinics are:
IBN Sina Dental Clinic Locations
- Wilcrest Community Dental Center – 11226 S. Wilcrest Dr. Houston, TX 77099 – 281.977.7462
- Clear Lake Community Dental Center – 15132 Old Galveston Rd (Hwy 3) Houston, TX 77598 – 281.990.7462
- South Post Oak Community Dental Center – 16345 S. Post Oak Rd Houston, TX 77053 – 281.438.7462
IBN Dental Services
IBN Dental Fees
Dental services start at $40 a visit. If you are unable to pay, IBN can make payment arrangements because the clinic operates on the sliding scale.
For questions about payments, business hours or anything else contact any of their clinics or call their main number at 888.312.3600.
Vecino Health Centers
Vecino Health Centers offers dental care to children and adults via 2 Houston are clinics. Those Vecino dental clinics are:
Vecino Dental Clinics
- Airline Children’s Clinic – 5808 Airline Drive Houston, TX 77076 – 713.695.4013
- Denver Harbor Family Clinic – 424 Hahlo Street Houston, TX 77020 – 713.674.3326
Eligibility for Vecino Dental Clinics
Vecino’s Denver Harbor Clinic provides dental care for children and adults. At Airline Children’s Clinic, only children up to the age of 17 receive dental services.
Vecino Dental Fees
Services at Vecino Dental Clinics are not free although they do operate on a sliding scale. Depending on income, an office visit could range in between $20-$55.
If you do not have health insurance they will work with you to find out if you qualify for coverage such as Medicaid, Medicare or CHIP. If you do qualify, they will help you with the enrollment process.
El Centro de Corazon Dental
El Centro de Corazon provides dental services to both children and adults. The clinic has 2 low-cost dental clinics in SE Houston.
El Centro de Corazon Dental Clinic Locations
- Eastwood Health Center – 412 Telephone Rd Houston, TX 77023 – 713.660.1880
- John S. Dunn Health Center – 7635 Canal Street Houston, TX 77012 – 713.660.1880
Eligibility for El Centro de Corazon Dental Clinics
Both children and adults are welcome at their dental clinics.
El Centro de Corazon Dental Services
For additional information about El Centro de Corazon dental services contact 713.660.1880.
Greater Houston Dental Society
The Greater Houston Dental Society offers referral assistance to patients who are 65 and older.
In addition to direct referrals to seniors, GHDS also offers a search to help you find a private dentist in the Houston area. There are no age restrictions on using GHDS’s free search.
For more information about GHDS call them at 713.961.4337, email them at or visit their office at One Greenway Plaza, Suite 110 Houston, TX 77046.
Harris County Public Health Dental Department
Harris County Public Health offers dental services to children, teens and expecting mothers.
Services are provided at 2 Houston area dental clinics.
Harris County Public Health Dental Locations
- Humble Clinic – 1730 Humble Pl Dr. Humble, TX 77338 – 832.927.1300
- Southeast Health Clinic – 3737 Red Bluff Pasadena, TX – 713.740.5000
Eligibility for Harris County Public Health Dental
Here are the eligibility requirements for dental services:
- Harris County resident
- Medicaid card
- Title V funding or families with low-income levels
- Prenatal dental services for pregnant women
Harris County Public Health Dental services
To schedule an appointment or ask questions contact Harris County Public Health at 713.212.6800.
Harris Health System Dental Services
HHS provides dental care to patients 16 and older.
HHS provides dental care via 6 Houston area locations.
Harris Health System Dental Locations
- HHS Dental Clinic (Palm Center) – 5230 Griggs Road Houston, TX 77021 – 713.757.0572
- Acres Home Health Center – 818 Ringold Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Rt Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- El Franco Lee Health Center – 8901 Boone Rd Houston, TX – 713.526.4243
- Martin Luther King Jr Health Center – 3550 Swingle Road Houston, TX 77047 – 713.526.4243
- Strawberry Health Center – 927 E. Shaw Houston, TX 713.526.4243
Eligibility for Harris Health System
To receive dental services you must meet each of the following:
- Be 16 years or older
- Have Harris Health System Financial Assistance Plan
- Have a referral from your Harris Health doctor
Harris Health System Dental Services
Harris Health provides dentals services like regular examinations, cleanings, fillings, extractions and full and partial dentures.
To learn more about enrollment in Harris Health System Financial Assistance Plan call their Eligibility Line at 713.566.6509 or see our guide called How to Apply for Harris Health (Gold Card).
Houston Community College – Hygiene Program
The Houston Community College Dental Hygiene Program is another one of your options for low-cost dental clinics in Houston. Services are available to anyone at HCC Dental Clinic and are provided by students under the supervision of faculty and dentists.
There is only one dental clinic and its located in the medical center.
Houston Community College Dental Hygiene Clinic Location
- HCC Dental Hygiene Clinic – 1900 Pressler St, Houston, TX 77030 – 713.718.7292
Eligibility for Houston Community College Dental
The HCC Dental Clinic treats everyone. No insurance is needed and there are no income requirements to receive dental services.
Houston Community College Dental Services and Fees
HCC Dental College provides all the following services for a single cost of $20 for adults and $5 for children:
- Fluoride Varnish
- Sealants – in needed are $1.00
Credit and debit cards are the ONLY forms of payment accepted. They do not accept cash or checks.
Houston Community College Dental Clinic Parking
The HCC Dental clinic is located in the Houston Medical Center. If you’ve ever been to the Medical Center you likely know that if can be intimidating. To make your visit easier here are two options for parking:
- Inside the AU lot across the street from HCC Coleman College. Parking ranges from $5 to $12 per day.
- There is also $6 all-day parking at the Corner Parking Garage 2151 W. Holcombe Blvd Houston, TX 77030.
To schedule an appointment, ask about parking or any other questions dial HCC Dental Clinic at 713.718.7292.
Houston Children’s Dental Center
Houston Children’s Dental Center provides services to children and adults with special needs.
Their location is located just off the North Freeway.
Houston Children’s Dental Center Location
- Houston Children’s Dental Center – 7007 North Freeway Suite 400 Houston, TX 77076, – 713.481.9500.
Eligibility for Houston Children’s Dental Center
HCDC provides dental services to both children and adults with special needs. Licensed Anesthesiologists are staffed to offer conscious sedation to relieve a patient of any anxiety.
For more information on Houston Children’s Dental Center services or appointments contact them at 713.481.9500.
The Center Houston (Dental Care For Special Needs Patients in Houston)
The Center offers dental services to children and adults with special needs.
This clinic is located in River Oaks just off West Dallas.
The Center Location
- The Center Houston – 3550 West Dallas St Houston, TX 77019, – 713.525.8400
Eligibility for The Center Houston
The dental clinic is open to everyone although it does specialize in treating children and adults with special needs. Licensed Anesthesiologists are staffed to offer conscious sedation to relieve a patient of any anxiety.
Medicaid and most other insurance providers are accepted.
To make an appointment call their office at 713.525.8462.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
Healthcare for the Homeless offers no-cost dental service to Houston’s homeless population.
The dental clinic is located in the heart of downtown Houston.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic Location
- Caroline Street Clinic – 1934 Caroline St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.286.6000
Eligibility for Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic
The Homeless Dental clinic services the homeless population of Houston. Patients must schedule an appointment with Caroline Street Clinic or obtain a referral from Cathedral Clinic (the Beacon) which is located at 1212 Prairie. Their number is 713.220.9730.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic Services
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Clinic provides the following services:
- Preventive Services
- Periodontal therapy
- Oral health education
- Cancer screenings
- Root canals
- Crowns and bridges
- Specialist referrals
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Fees
All services are provided for free.
Healthcare for the Homeless Dental Hours of Operation
The dental clinic is open Monday through Thursdays from 8 am to 5 pm. Clinic hours on Fridays are 8 am to 12 noon. First come first serve is not specified although it’s best to arrive as early as possible.
To arrange an appointment or ask questions contact them at 713.286.6140 or email them at GRYGO@BCM.edu.
Legacy Community Health Services
Legacy Community Health Services provides dental services to both children and adults.
Services are provided via 4 Houston area clinics from Bellaire to Baytown.
Legacy Community Health Dental Locations
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California Houston, TX, – 832.548 5000
- Baker Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin Houston, TX, – 832.548.5000
- Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Ave Houston, TX 77020, – 832.548.5400
- San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Rd, Baytown, TX 77521, 281.420.8400
Eligibility for Legacy Community Health Dental
Legacy Dental provides services to both children and adults.
Health insurance or income is not needed to be seen. If you do not have health insurance Legacy Clinic will screen you to see if you qualify for a plan like Medicaid or Medicare. If you do not qualify for either you will be assessed to see where you fall on their “sliding scale”. Remember services are not free although depending on your income the scale could slide all the way down to $0.
If you have health insurance use this link to see if Legacy accepts it.
Legacy Community Health Dental Services
- Legacy Dental provides the following services:
- Children’s dentistry
- Dental Screenings
- Crown preparations
- Partial Dentures
- Urgent Dental Care
To schedule an appointment or ask questions contact Legacy Community Health at 832.548.5000.
MD Anderson Cancer Center (Dental For Oncology Patients In Houston)
MD Anderson offers dental services to oncology patients who are seen at the hospital.
The MD Anderson Dental clinic is located in the Medical Center.
- MD Anderson Cancer Dental Clinic – 1515 Holcombe Houston, TX 77030, 713.792.6510.
Eligibility for MD Anderson Cancer Clinic
MD Anderson provides oral and dental care for all oncology patients who require treatment prior to chemotherapy or radiotherapy. To receive MD Anderson dental care you receive a referral from your MD Anderson PCP.
For more information contact MD Anderson at 713.792.6510.
Pasadena Health Center
PHC Dental serves both children and adults.
There is only one dental clinic in their network.
- Pasadena Health Center – 908 Southmore Pasadena, TX, 77502 – 713.714.5386
PHC Dental Services
Here are the dental services provided by Pasadena Health Center:
- Deep scalings
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dentures and partials
- Root Canal Therapy
Pasadena Health Center Dental Fees
PHC Dental accepts Medicaid, Delta Dental, CHIP, Ameritas, Cigna, and most credit cards. Those who are uninsured will be assessed for sliding scale payments.
For more information about Pasadena Health Center, Dental services call them at 713.714.5386.
San Jose Clinic Dental Care
San Jose Clinic offers dental services to both children and adults. No insurance is needed because services are provided via sliding scale fees.
SJC’s only clinic is located in Midtown at the corner of McGowen and Fannin.
San Jose Clinic Location
- San Jose Clinic – 2615 Fannin Street Houston, TX, – 713.228.9411
Eligibility at San Jose Dental Clinic
SJC offers dental services to children (5 years +) and adults.
For dental services, you must complete an Eligibility Application. SJC accepts walk-ins for Eligibility interviews from 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. There is no note of a first come first serve process although you’re advised to arrive as early as possible.
San Jose Clinic Dental Services
- General care
- Root Canals
For more questions about SJC call 713.228.9411.
Spring Branch Community Health Center
SBCH offers dental care to children and adults.
Their only dental clinic is located in Spring Branch near Hempstead Highway and Clay Road.
Spring Branch Community Health Center Location
- Pitner Clinic – 8575 Pitner Rd Houston, TX , – 713.462.6545
Eligibility for Spring Branch Community Health Dental Clinic
All SBCH patients must complete a Registration Form.
SBCH operates on a sliding scale therefore insurance is not necessary. SBCH accepts Medicaid, CHIP, Medicare and private health insurance plans.
Should you need assistance applying for Medicaid, CHIP, ect SBCH will assist you with the process.
Spring Branch Community Health Dental Services
The following services are offered by the SBCH services:
- Dental screening and examinations
- Root Canals
- Prophylaxis Regular Cleaning
- Full Mouth Debridement
- Deep Cleanings, Scaling and Root Planning
- Crowns and Bridge Preparations
- Sport Guards
- Partial Dentures
- Dental Sealants
To schedule an appointment call SBCH at 713.462.6545.
TOMAGWA Health Care Ministries
TOMAGWA offers dental services to their patients only.
TOMAGWA Health Care stands for Tomball, Magnolia, Waller.
The clinic was founded more than 30 years ago to serve the uninsured families of the area. The clinic was created after a local man and young girl died of infections that could have been treated had they had health insurance.
TOMAGWA Health Care Location
TOMAGWA Health Care Ministries – 455 School Street Suite-30 Tomball, TX, – 281.357.0747
Eligibility for TOMAGWA Health Care
TOMAGWA only offers dental services to current primary care clients.
For more questions regarding TOMAGWA Health Care call them at 281.357.0747.
University of Texas School of Dentistry Houston
UT School of Dentistry Houston offers services to children and adults. Services are provided by students in the UT dental programs. Students are however supervised by faculty and dentists.
Patients are accepted based on the needs of the patient and the ability of the schools teaching programs. Below are the different areas of dental care provided by the college.
UT School of Dentistry Houston Areas of Care
- Dental Hygiene Care – Students provide basic dental services and also offer education to clients. A screening appointment is necessary for Dental Hygiene Care. This screening can be coordinated by calling 713.486.4000.
- Comprehensive Care – An initial assessment must be completed to learn more about dental needs. The assessment is free although if further testing (X-Rays) is needed fees range between $40-$90.
- Urgent Care – The schedule for Urgent Care varies, therefore, it is suggested that you call 713.486.4000 Option 1 prior to visiting the clinic. No appointment is required for Urgent Care because services are rendered on a first come first serve basis. The doors open at 7:30 AM Monday through Friday and you are highly encouraged to arrive as soon as possible. The initial exam fee is $25. After diagnosis, if a patient requires urgent care fees can be as much as $200.
UT School of Dentistry Houston Clinic Location
- UT Dentistry Student Clinic – 7500 Cambridge Street Houston, TX 713.486.4000
Eligibility for UT School of Dentistry
The dental school treats both children and adults.
UT School of Dentistry Fees
Unlike many of the other dental clinics on this list, UT does not discount fees.
The initial assessment can cost as much as $25. Urgent Care dental services can cost as much as $200. Prior to performing any dental work UT will inform you of your diagnosis of cost of treatment.
For scheduling or additional question call the dental school at 713.486.4000.
Regardless of your income or whether you have health insurance you have options low-cost dental clinics in Houston.
Which dental clinic is the best option for you? Well, that depends on a number of factors. Contact each dental clinic to learn more about the services and pricing offered. Each of the dental clinics above operates on the sliding scale, but again call each to confirm.
Have you been to any of the dental clinics above? If so, how was your experience?
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.