10 Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston To Treat the Uninsured
Untreated mental health issues like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and anxiety can put a strain on every aspect of your life.
You don’t have to suffer alone with a psychiatric disorder, because no matter your financial situation there are plenty of low cost psychiatric clinics In Houston to help you overcome all of your problems.
This article will briefly summarize some of the psychiatric services that local agencies provide.
The best way to overcome your problems is to simply take action and this can start by contacting some of the psychiatric clinics below.
Before going any further lets first discuss the difference between psychiatry and counseling.
- Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston
- 1. Harris Center (formerly MHMRA of Harris County)
- 2. Legacy Community Health
- 3. Harris Health System Psychiatric Services
- 4. El Centro de Corazon Psychiatric Services
- 5. Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry
- 6. Texas Children’s Psychiatry
- 7. Avenue 360 Psychiatry Services
- 8. IBN Sina Foundation
- 9. Hope Clinic
- 10. San Jose Clinic
Do You Need Psychiatry or Counseling?
There are many ways to attack mental health issues…
Some people use psychiatry or counseling. Others combine the two. Everyone is different so the method you choose is something you’ll want to discuss with supportive family members and your doctor.
To select the best form of treatment for your situation, it’s important to understand the differences in psychiatry and counseling.
What is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is practiced by a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a doctor who prescribes psychiatric medications to patients.
Typically you won’t receive lots of “talk therapy” from a psychiatrist. They are more focused on providing you with medications. If you need talk therapy a psychiatrist can refer you to someone like a counselor.
What is a Counselor?
A counselor’s primary focus is providing talk therapy.
Counselors cannot prescribe medication, but they too can refer you to a psychiatrist if you need medications.
If you only need talk therapy head over to our article on Low-Cost Counseling in Houston to see your options.
Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston
This article will focus on psychiatric clinics that you can visit for treatment even if you are uninsured. These locations offer low cost and in some cases free mental health services in Houston.
1. Harris Center (formerly MHMRA of Harris County)
Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) is one of the largest mental health providers in Houston and they offer affordable psychiatrist services to both children and adults.
There are 4 Harris Center clinics in Houston and those are:
- Northwest Clinic – 3737 Dacoma Houston, TX 77092
- Northeast Clinic – 7200 North Loop East Houston, TX 77028
- Southwest Clinic – 9401 Southwest Freeway 3rd Floor Houston, TX 77074
- Southeast Clinic – 5901 Long Drive Houston, TX 77087
Harris Center Adult and Children Psychiatric Services
As we mentioned earlier Harris Center treats both adults and children. Below you will find the eligibility criteria for both.
For adult services, you must a Harris County resident and be 18 years old.
All four of the clinics above provide adults with psychiatric services.
Children and Adolescents
Harris Center treats children who reside in Harris County between the ages of 3 and 17.
Only the Southwest and Southeast Clinics offer children and adolescent psychiatric services.
Early Childhood Intervention
If your child is younger than the age of 3 and needs a behavioral assessment they will be evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention or ECI.
ECI is a Harris Center program that services children from birth to 3 years old. To schedule an appointment you can call the Harris Center Patient Information Line at 713.970.7000 and tell them you have a child under 3 and you are interested in an ECI evaluation.
How to schedule a Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) intake appointment?
Harris Center does not offer appointments, only walk-in appointments are accepted. Below are the intake instructions for adults and children.
- For adult mental health services you can visit any of the 4 area clinics. Walk-ins are accepted any day Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3 pm for an intake appointment.
- For children, the Southwest Clinic (4th floor) is the only eligibility center. Again, walk-in appointments are accepted Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3 pm.
Walk-ins for both adults and children are processed on a first come first serve basis. To guarantee that you are seen, you are advised to arrive at 7 am.
Note: Monday or any day following the weekend typically drawn the longest waits. For this reason, you should consider going as a walk-in on any day Tuesday through Friday.
Harris Center Priority Populations + Services Provided
Below are the priority populations:
- Major Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
Harris Health treats these conditions with the services below:
- Mental health assessment
- Counseling and psychotherapy
- Psychosocial and rehab services
- Employment-related skills
- Housing-related skills
- Medication-related services
- Parent and child behavior management skills training
- Counseling (Cognitive Behavior Therapy)
- Juvenile Justice Mental health services
- And more
If you have questions you can contact Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) 24 hours a day at 713.970.7000. This number also connects you to the 24-hour Crisis Helpline. Feel free to call this number if you ever a psychiatric crisis that is not life-threatening.
2. Legacy Community Health
Houston’s Legacy Community Health is the 2nd network on this option and they can also connect you to an affordable psychiatrist.
Legacy offers psychiatric services to both children and adults.
Note: Legacy also provides counseling services to those with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and anxiety.
Legacy offers a number of outpatient mental health facilities in Houston where you can receive treatment.
- Mapleride Clinic – 6550 Mapleridge St Suite 106 Houston, TX 77081 – 713.779.7200
- Southwest Clinic – 6441 High Star Houston , TX 77074 – 832.548.5300
- Baker-Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin St, Building B, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77074 – 713.351.7350
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California St Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100
- Branard Clinic – 401 Branard St, Level 3 Houston, TX 77006 – 713.366.7444
- Bissonnet Clinic – 12667 Bissonnet Houston, TX 77099 – 281.498.6100
- Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Ave Houston, TX 77020 – 832.548.5400
- Santa Clara Clinic – 5616 Lawndale St Suite A108 Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.0075
- San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Rd Houston, TX 77521 – 281.420.8400
- Deer Park Clinic – 3430 Center St Houston, TX 77536 – 281.628.2040
Legacy offers services to everyone regardless of health insurance or income. Because Legacy is a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) they can offer sliding scale psychiatrist services to you.
Legacy also accepts insurance plans like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP, and other major carriers.
To make an appointment you can either walk-in contact the Legacy appointment line at 832.548.5000.
Legacy can help you manage the following conditions:
- Bipolar disorder
- Development delays
- Learning disabilities
In addition to these services, social workers can provide resource linkage, school advocacy, and legal resources to you.
For more information on these psychiatric services and more visit the Legacy website or call 832.548.5000.
3. Harris Health System Psychiatric Services
If you have the Harris Health (Gold Card) you already have access to a number of low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston.
Harris Health Psychiatric Clinics
Harris Health offers psychiatric services to both children and adults in the following clinics:
- Martin Luther King Health Center – 3550 Swingle Rd Houston, TX 77047 – 713.547.1000
- Acres Home Health Clinic – 818 Ringold St Houston, TX 77088 – 281.448.6391 (Counseling only, no psychiatry)
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Route Houston, TX 77039 – 281.985.7600
- Baytown Health Center – 1602 Garth Rd Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.837.2700
- Casa de Amigos Health Center – 1615 N. Main St Houston, TX 77099 – 713.222.2272
- Cypress Health Center – 12340 Jones Rd Suite 100 Houston, TX 77070 – 713.873.5240 (Pediatrics psychiatry, behavioral health therapy provided)
- El Franco Lee Health Center – 8901 Boone Rd Houston, TX 77099 – 281.454.0500
- Gulfgate Health Center – 7550 Office City Drive 77012 – 713.495.3700
- Northwest Health Center – 1100 West 34th Street 77018 – 713.861.3939
- Bear Creek Health Center – 5870 Highway 6 Suite 108 Houston, TX 77084 – 713.873.6860 (Pediatric and Adolescent psychiatry and behavioral therapy offered)
- Pasadena Health Center – 3925 Fairmont Parkway Pasadena, TX 77504 – 713.873.6300 This location offers affordable psychiatrist in Pasadena Tx for children and adolescents. In addition, psychology and behavioral therapy is also offered
- Settegast Health Center – 9105 North Wayside Drive 77028 – 713.633.2020
- Sheldon Health Elementary Clinic – 17203 1/2 Hall Sheppard Houston, TX 77049 – 713.497.0990 (Children and Adolescent Developmental Assessments only)
- Southside Health Clinic – 1721 16th Street Galena Park, TX 77547 – 713.497.0940 – Behavioral Health: 713.497.0946 (Children and Adolescent Developmental Assessments only)
- Squatty Lyons Health Center – 1712 First Street E, Suite M20 Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4139
- Strawberry Health Center – 927 Shaw Ave Pasadena, TX 77506 – 713.982.5900
- Thomas Street Health Center – 2015 Thomas Street Houston, TX 77009 – 713.873.4000 (HIV/AIDS clients only, provides psychiatry and counseling)
- Vallbona Health Center – 6630 DeMoss St 77074 – 713.272.2600
In addition, Harris Health offers inpatient treatment via it’s Ben Taub Psychiatry Unit at Ben Taub Hospital.
To be eligible for Harris Health psychiatry services, you must have a Harris Health Gold Card. To apply for your, see our guide titled How To Apply For Harris Health Gold Card.
If you currently have a Gold Card, you will need to obtain a referral from their Harris Health doctor. The only way to receive psychiatric services at Harris Health is via a doctor’s referral.
For more information on eligibility visit the Harris Health System website or contact 713.566.6509. If you have Harris Health call the appointment line at 713.526.4243 to schedule a psychiatric appointment.
4. El Centro de Corazon Psychiatric Services
El Centro is a healthcare network with clinics located in SE Houston. Two of those clinics (Magnolia and John S. Dunn Health Center) provide children and adults with access to counseling and affordable psychiatrist services.
The psychiatric services offered here include:
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Med management
- Individual and family therapy
- Trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy
The following El Centro clinics offer psychiatric and counseling services:
- John S. Dunn Health Center – 7635 Canal St, Houston, TX 77012 – 713.660.1880
- Magnolia Health Center – 7037 Capitol St, Suite N100, Houston, TX 77011 – 713.660.1880
For more information, you can call 713.660.1880 or visit the El Centro de Corazon website.
5. Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry
Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry is another low cost psychiatric clinic in Houston that is available to you.
They offer psychiatric treatment to those with health insurance and low income. Baylor offers sliding scale psychiatry services to its patients.
There is only one Baylor clinic which is in the Houston medical center at:
- Baylor Psychiatric Clinic – 1977 Butler Blvd, Houston, TX 77030 – 713.798.4857
Eligibility is extended to both the insured and uninsured. You can find out if your coverage is accepted at via Insurance Accepted page.
If you don’t have health insurance ask them about sliding scale fees that way you know the cost upfront.
Baylor offers psychiatric services like:
- Medication management
- Individual therapy
- Marital therapy
- Group and family psychotherapy
- Specialization in Mood and Anxiety Disorders as well as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
For more information, you can visit the Baylor Psychiatric Clinic website or call them at 713.798.4857.
6. Texas Children’s Psychiatry
For families with Texas Children’s Health Plan, you can find a Houston psychiatrist at the Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics.
This clinic serves children and adolescents only and is a part of the Texas Children’s Health Care network. Other clinics in this network include:
- Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics – 8080 N. Stadium Dr Suite 180 Houston, TX 77030 – 832.822.3750
- Texas Children’s Health Center Sugar Land – 15400 Southwest Freeway, Suite 200 Sugar Land, TX 77478 – 832.828.1800 (Developmental Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Psychology)
- CHI St. Luke’s Medical Arts Center 1 (MAC 1) – 17198 St. Luke’s Way, Suite 300 The Woodlands, TX 77384 – 936.321.0808 (Psychiatry and psychology)
Texas Children’s accepts most health insurance plans but you are encouraged to visit their Accepted Insurance Plans list to ensure that you are covered.
If you need financial assistance there are plans to help with the cost of your medical bills. You can learn more about the help offered by going to the Financial Assistance page.
To make a psychiatric appointment you will need to speak with your child’s Primary Care Physician to request a referral. You can email your child’s Physician this link, to potentially speed up the process.
Once the referral has been submitted wait at least 10 days for the referral to be processed. Your doctor will likely give you a referral confirmation form like this.
Should you have any questions about the new patient process call Texas Children’s Psychiatry at 832.822.1900.
Texas Children’s Psychiatric Services
Texas Children’s has low cost psychiatry clinics in Houston that treat all of the following:
- Complicated ADHD
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Mood Disorder
- Tourette’s Syndrome
- Psychiatric and psychological symptoms that occur with other medical conditions
Texas Children’s Bipolar Disorders Program
The most noteworthy thing about this program is it provides treatment to not only the patient, but family members as well. Medication management, family therapy and skill building and problem-solving techniques are just a few of the services provided via the Texas Children’s Bipolar Disorders Program.
To apply for this program call the TC Referral Center at 832.822.1900.
For mothers experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression, the Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women provides an array of health care services.
For more information, you can contact Texas Children’s contact them at 832.822.3750.
7. Avenue 360 Psychiatry Services
Avenue 360 offers affordable psychiatry in Houston to adults and children.
Their areas of specialty are:
- Mental Health
- Substance abuse
- Medical case management
Treatment for these issues are provided in individual, group, and family therapy settings.
Avenue 360 provides psych services via the following clinics:
- Humble – 9816 Memorial Blvd Suite 120, Humble, TX 77338 – 281.570.2525 – Mental health counseling and substance abuse treatment
- 3rd Ward – 4405 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021 – 832.962.4111 – Mental health counseling and substance abuse treatment
- SW Houston – 14095 Main St, Houston, TX 77035 – 832.830.8345 – Mental health counseling
- Spring Cypress – 17010 Sugar Pine Drive, Houston, TX 77090 – 281.537.8627
To learn more about psychiatric services visit the Avenue 360 website or call them at 713.426.0027.
8. IBN Sina Foundation
IBN Sina is a Houston community health clinic that offers low cost psychiatrist services to adults and children.
Both the insured and uninsured are welcome to make appointments. For those without insurance, they offer a Healthcare Discount Program where families can pay one yearly cost and receive discounts on treatment throughout the year.
Below are the IBN Sina clinics in Houston:
- Wilcrest – 11226 S. Wilcrest Dr, Houston, TX 77099 – 281.977.7462
- Clear Lake – 15132 Old Galveston Road (Highway 3) Houston, TX 77598 – 281.990.7462
- South Post Oak – 16345 S. Post Oak, Houston, TX 77053 – 281.438.7462
- North Shepherd – 5012 North Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77018 – 713.695.7462
- Port Arthur IBN Sina Clinic – 8455 Ninth Ave, Suite B, Port Arthur, TX 77642 – 409.724.7462
For more information about psychiatric services visit the IBN website or call them at 281.977.7462.
9. Hope Clinic
Hope Clinic is a Houston FQHC clinic that has most of its locations in SW Houston.
To book an appointment at Hope Clinic you can call them at 713.773.0803 or book your appointment online.
The following mental health services are provided:
- Psychiatric services
- Med management
- Therapeutic counseling
- Play therapy
- ADHD treatment
There are 4 different Hope Clinics in Houston, however, only the Corporate Dr clinic offers psychiatric services.
- Main – 7001 Corporate Dr. Suite 120, Houston, TX 77036
For more information, you can visit the Hope Clinic website or call them at 713.773.0803.
10. San Jose Clinic
San Jose Clinic offers affordable medical care in Houston to both children and adults.
Note: San Jose Clinic is open to everyone, however, it was created to address the infant mortality rate in the hispanic community. Today the clinic continues to serve the Houston latino community.
They offer two clinics which are located in Houston’s Midtown and Rosenberg.
- Midtown – 2615 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77002 – 713.228.9411
- Rosenberg – 1615 Avenue E, Houston, TX 77471 – 832.945.6711
The following services are offered:
- Many more medical services
For more information you can call them at 713.228.9411 or visit the San Jose Clinic website.
Mental health disorders like depression can be physically and mentally draining. These disorders can lead to fatigue, isolation, and oversleeping which all make it increasingly difficult to be productive in your life.
It’s definitely easier said than done, but the best way to combat this is to take deliberate action. This could be anything from:
- Cleaning your place to get a small win
- Exercising to help better regulate your mood or…
- Contacting one of the providers listed in this article
While it will take some effort, spending 15 minutes calling these low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston can help you to inch one step closer to your goal of better managing your condition and eventually crushing all those life goals that you have.
I wish you the best of luck and if you have questions about Houston mental health resources feel free to drop a comment below and I will follow up with you.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.