Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston
Untreated mental health issues like depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, and anxiety can put a strain on every aspect of your life.
You don’t have to suffer alone with a psychiatric disorder. No matter your financial situation there are plenty of Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston to help you overcome any psychiatric problem.
This article will briefly summarize some of the psychiatric services that local agencies provide.
The best way to overcome any psychiatric problems you are dealing with is to simply take action, which starts by contacting local providers.
Before going any further lets first discuss the difference between psychiatry and counseling.
- 1 Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston
- 1.1 Harris Center (formerly MHMRA of Harris County)
- 1.1.1 Where are the Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) Outpatient Clinics located?
- 1.1.2 Who is Eligible for Harris Center (MHMRA Harris)?
- 1.1.3 How do I make a Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) appointment?
- 1.1.4 What psychiatric services does Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) offer?
- 1.2 Legacy Community Health
- 1.3 Harris Health System
- 1.4 Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry
- 1.5 Texas Children’s Psychiatry
- 1.5.1 Where are the Legacy Community Health Outpatient Clinics located?
- 1.5.2 Who is Eligible for Texas Children’s Psychiatry?
- 1.5.3 How do I make a Texas Children’s Psychiatry appointment?
- 1.5.4 What psychiatric services does Texas Children’s Psychiatry treat?
- 1.5.5 Texas Children’s Bipolar Disorders Program
- 1.5.6 Postpartum Depression
- 1.6 Printable Guide to Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics in Houston
- 1.7 Conclusion
- 1.8 Related posts:
- 1.1 Harris Center (formerly MHMRA of Harris County)
Do You Need Psychiatry or Counseling?
There are many ways to beat a diagnosis of depression.
There is psychiatry, others use counseling and some use a combination of both. Everyone is different so which method is best for you is something you will want to discuss with your family and doctor.
It’s important to know the difference between psychiatry and counseling, because often times the general public confuses the two.
What is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is practiced by a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a doctor who prescribes psychiatric medications it patients.
Typically you won’t receive lots of “talk therapy” from a psychiatrist. They are more focused on providing you with medications. If you need talk therapy a psychiatrist can refer you to someone like a counselor.
What is a Counselor?
A counselor’s primary focus is providing talk therapy.
Counselor’s cannot prescribe medication, but they too can refer to psychiatrist should their be a need.
After reading this if you feel you only need talk therapy head over to our article on Low Cost Counseling in Houston to see your options.
Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics In Houston
In this article we are focused on low cost psychiatric clinics. Each of the locations below are agencies that will help you overcome your depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder with psychiatric medications.
Harris Center (formerly MHMRA of Harris County)
Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) provides outpatient psychiatric services to both children and adults.
They service low income residents of Harris County via 4 outpatient clinics.
Where are the Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) Outpatient Clinics located?
- Northwest Clinic – 3737 Dacoma Houston, TX 77092
- Northeast Clinic – 7200 North Loop East Houston, TX 77028
- Southwest Clinic – 9401 Southwest Freeway 3rd Floor Houston, TX 77074
- Southeast Clinic – 5901 Long Drive Houston, TX 77087
Who is Eligible for Harris Center (MHMRA Harris)?
Harris Center treats both adults and children. Below you will find eligibility criteria for both.
For adult services you must a Harris County resident and be 18 years old.
All four of the clinics above provide adults with psychiatric services.
Harris Center treats individuals with serious mental illness. Their priority populations are:
- Major Depression
- Bipoloar Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
Children and Adolescents
HC treats children who reside in Harris County between the age of 3 and 17. If your child is younger than the age of 3 and needs a behavioral assessment they would need to be referred to Early Childhood Intervention or ECI. ECI services children from birth to 3 years old. To schedule an ECI appointment call the Harris Center Patient Information Line at 713.970.7000.
Only the Southwest and Southeast Clinics offer children and adolescent psychiatric services.
Eligibility will be determined during your Intake Assessment. Your diagnosis, symptoms and functioning at home and the community will all be assessed to determine eligibility.
How do I make a Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) appointment?
HC does not offer appointments, only walk-in appointments are accepted.
For adult mental health services you can visit any of the 4 area clinics. Walk-ins are accepted any day Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 3pm for an intake appointment.
For children the Southwest Clinic (4th floor) is the only eligibility center. Again, walk-in appointments are accepted Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 3pm.
Walk-ins for both adults and children are processed on a first come first serve basis. To guarantee that you are seen, you are advised to arrive at 7am.
Note: Monday or any day following the weekend typically drawn the longest waits. For this reason you should consider going as a walk-in on any day Tuesday through Friday.
What psychiatric services does Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) offer?
Client at Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) are offered the following services:
- Mental health assessment
- Counseling and psychotherapy
- Psychosocial and rehab services
- Employment related skills
- Housing related skills
- Medication related services
- Parent and child behavior management skills training
- Counseling (Cognitive Behavior Therapy)
- Juvenile Justice Mental health services
- And more
If you have questions contact Harris Center (MHMRA Harris) 24 hours a day at 713.970.7000. This number also connects you to the 24-hour Crisis Helpline. Call this number if you ever an psychiatric crisis that is not life-threatening.
Legacy Community Health
Another option in your search for low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston should be Legacy Community Health.
Legacy offers psychiatric services to both children and adults.
Note: Legacy also provides counseling services to those with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and anxiety.
Where are the Legacy Community Health Outpatient Clinics located?
- Mapleride Clinic – 6550 Mapleridge St Suite 106 Houston, TX 77081 – 713.779.7200
- Southwest Clinic – 6441 High Star Houston , TX 77074 – 832.548.5300
- Baker-Ripley Clinic – 6500 Rookin St, Building B, Suite 200 Houston, TX 77074 – 713.351.7350
- Montrose Clinic – 1415 California St Houston, TX 77006 – 832.548.5100
- Branard Clinic – 401 Branard St, Level 3 Houston, TX 77006 – 713.366.7444
- Bissonnet Clinic – 12667 Bissonnet Houston, TX 77099 – 281.498.6100
- Lyons Clinic – 3811 Lyons Ave Houston, TX 77020 – 832.548.5400
- Santa Clara Clinic – 5616 Lawndale St Suite A108 Houston, TX 77023 – 713.921.0075
- San Jacinto Clinic – 4301 Garth Rd Houston, TX 77521 – 281.420.8400
- Deer Park Clinic – 3430 Center St Houston, TX 77536 – 281.628.2040
Who is Eligible for Legacy Community Health?
Legacy offers services to everyone regardless of health insurance or income levels. This is a Federally Qualified Health Clinic (FQHC) therefore they operated on a “sliding scale”.
Legacy accepts Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP and most other health insurance plans. Learn more about insurance plans accepted.
How do I make a Legacy Community Health appointment?
Walk-in appointments are welcome however you are encouraged to contact their appointment line at 832.548.5000 prior to visiting.
For more information on scheduling an intake appointment see the process below.
What psychiatric services does Legacy Community Health offer?
Services to help individuals manage with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, schizophrenia, autism, development delays and learning disabilities are provided.
In addition to these services Legacy Community Health social workers provide resource linkage, school advocacy and legal resources.
For more information contact Legacy at 832.548.5000.
Harris Health System
If you have the Harris Health (Gold Card) you already have access to a number of low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston.
Harris health offers psychiatric services to both children and adults.
Where are the Harris Health Psychiatric Outpatient Clinics located?
- Martin Luther King Health Center – 3550 Swingle Rd Houston, TX 77047 – 713.547.1000 (Counseling also offered)
- Acres Home Health Clinic – 818 Ringold St Houston, TX 77088 – 281.448.6391 (Counseling only, no psychiatry)
- Aldine Health Center – 4755 Aldine Mail Route Houston, TX 77039 – 281.985.7600
- Baytown Health Center – 1602 Garth Rd Baytown, TX 77520 – 281.837.2700 (Counseling also offered)
- Casa de Amigos Health Center – 1615 N. Main St Houston, TX 77099 – 713.222.2272 (Counseling also offered)
- Cypress Health Center – 12340 Jones Rd Suite 100 Houston, TX 77070 – 713.873.5240 (Pediatrics psychiatry, behavioral health therapy provided)
- El Franco Lee Health Center – 8901 Boone Rd Houston, TX 77099 – 281.454.0500 (Counseling also offered)
- Gulfgate Health Center – 7550 Office City Drive Houston, TX 77012 – 713.495.3700
- Northwest Health Center – 1100 West 34th Street Houston, TX 77018 – 713.861.3939 (Counseling also offered)
- Bear Creek Health Center – 5870 Highway 6 Suite 108 Houston, TX 77084 – 713.873.6860 (Pediatric and Adolescent psychiatry and behavioral therapy offered)
- Pasadena Health Center – 3925 Fairmont Parkway Pasadena, TX 77504 – 713.873.6300 (Pediatric and Adolescent psychiatry, psychology and behavioral therapy)
- Settegast Health Center – 9105 North Wayside Drive Houston, TX 77028 – 713.633.2020 (Counseling also offered)
- Sheldon Health Elementary Clinic – 17203 1/2 Hall Sheppard Houston, TX 77049 – 713.497.0990 (Children and Adolescent Developmental Assessments only)
- Southside Health Clinic – 1721 16th Street Galena Park, TX 77547 – 713.497.0940 – Behavioral Health: 713.497.0946 (Children and Adolescent Developmental Assessments only)
- Squatty Lyons Health Center – 1712 First Street E, Suite M20 Humble, TX 77338 – 281.446.4139 (Counseling also offered)
- Strawberry Health Center – 927 Shaw Ave Pasadena, TX 77506 – 713.982.5900 (Counseling also offered)
- Thomas Street Health Center – 2015 Thomas Street Houston, TX 77009 – 713.873.4000 (HIV/AIDS clients only, provides psychiatry and counseling)
- Vallbona Health Center – 6630 DeMoss St Houston, TX 77074 – 713.272.2600 (Counseling also offered)
Who is Eligible for Harris Health System psychiatry?
Only those who are enrolled in Harris Health System’s Financial Assistance Plan can receive psychiatric services.
How do I make a Harris Health System appointment?
If you do not have Harris Health System’s Financial Assistance Plan you will need to apply. You can find all the information needed to apply here.
Those already enrolled in Harris Health System need to get a referral from their Harris Health doctor. The only way to receive psychiatric services at Harris Health is via a doctor’s referral.
For more information contact Harris Health at 713.566.6509 for eligibility. If you have Harris Health call the appointment at 713.526.4243 to arrange a doctors appointment to request a referral for psychiatry.
Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry
Baylor College of Medicine Psychiatry is another one of our low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston.
They offer psychiatric treatment to those with health insurance and low income. BCM operates on sliding scale payments.
There is only one BCM clinic which is in the Houston medical center.
Where is Baylor Psychiatric Clinic located?
- Baylor Psychiatric Clinic – 1977 Butler Blvd, Houston, TX 77030 – 713.798.4857
Who is Eligible for Baylor Psychiatric Clinic?
Everyone from those insured and uninsured are welcome at BCM. You can find out if your coverage is accepted at their Insurance Accepted page.
If you don’t have health insurance ask them about sliding scale fees. Also if you are on a budget ask them to tell you the cost up front.
How do I make an appointment for Baylor Psychiatric Clinic?
You will need to contact their appointment line at 713.798.4857. The first question you should ask is if they are accepting new patients?
Their evaluation process is three steps:
- Initial phone interview
- Psychiatric Interview
- Psychological testing
What services does Baylor Psychiatric Clinic offer?
BCM offers medication management, individual, marital, group and family psychotherapy.
Call Baylor Psychiatric Clinic at 713.798.4857 for any additional questions.
Texas Children’s Psychiatry
For families with Texas Children’s Health Plan, you can find a Houston psychiatrist at the Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics.
This clinic serves children and adolescents only and is a part of the Texas Children’s Health Care network.
This one of three Texas Children’s clinics that provide psychiatric services.
Where are the Legacy Community Health Outpatient Clinics located?
- Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics – 8080 N. Stadium Dr Suite 180 Houston, TX 77030 – 832.822.3750
- Texas Children’s Health Center Sugar Land – 15400 Southwest Freeway, Suite 200 Sugar Land, TX 77478 – 832.828.1800 (Developmental Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Psychology)
- CHI St. Luke’s Medical Arts Center 1 (MAC 1) – 17198 St. Luke’s Way, Suite 300 The Woodlands, TX 77384 – 936.321.0808 (Psychiatry and psychology)
Who is Eligible for Texas Children’s Psychiatry?
TC accepts most health insurance plans but visit their Accepted Insurance Plans list to ensure that you are covered.
If you need financial assistance TC offers a plan to help those who cannot pay their medical bill. Learn more about the help offered by going to the Financial Assistance section of the Financial Arrangements page.
How do I make a Texas Children’s Psychiatry appointment?
The first step is to speak to your child’s Primary Care Physician to request a referral. Email your child’s Physician this link, it will walk them through the 4 step referral process.
Next your doctor will complete the Behavioral and Development Referral Form.
After your referral is completed, your doctor will then fax the form to Texas Children’s Psychiatry at 832.825.9315.
Once the referral has been submitted wait at least 10 days for the referral to be processed. Your doctor will likely give you a referral confirmation form like this.
Should you have any questions about the new patient process call Texas Children’s Psychiatry at 832.822.1900.
What psychiatric services does Texas Children’s Psychiatry treat?
Texas Children’s has low cost psychiatry clinics in Houston that treat all of the following:
- Complicated ADHD
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Mood Disorder
- Tourett’s Syndrome
- Psychiatric and psychological symptoms that occur with other medical conditons
Texas Children’s Bipolar Disorders Program
The most noteworthy thing about this program is it provides treatment to not only the patient, but family members as well. Medication management, family therapy and skill building and problem-solving techniques are just a few of the services provided via the Texas Children’s Bipolar Disorders Program.
To apply for this program call the TC Referral Center at 832.822.1900.
For mothers experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression, the Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women provides an array of health care services.
For more information on other Houston psychiatric services via Texas Children’s contact them at 832.822.3750.
Printable Guide to Low Cost Psychiatric Clinics in Houston
If you would like a printable guide use the link below:
Before we go, consider this.
If you’re reading this from a room of 5 people then 1 of you likely has some form of mental illness.
Psychiatric issues effect everyone no matter the race, gender or income.
If you lack health insurance or income hopefully this article gave you inspiration to take control of your situation.
While it may take a little effort on your part but with 30 minutes of work calling the numbers above you can be one step closer to finding that medical home you deserve in one of the many low cost psychiatric clinics in Houston.
What are your biggest barriers to finding a psychiatrist? Tell us about it in the comments.
Nick Bryant is a Counselor with 11 years of experience working in community health. He enjoys concerts, walks with the doggo and wife, mocking Dallas Cowboy fans, and sharing community resources. Jump on the Houston Case Managers email list to receive weekly community resource guides delivered directly to your inbox.